For any local business, your Google My Business (GMB) profile is one of the most powerful tools for driving conversions online. With Google dominating local search, ranking highly in local pack results is critical for visibility and conversions.
But simply having a GMB profile isn’t enough. You need to optimize it completely to maximize the customers and leads it generates.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore how to optimize every element of your GMB profile for higher click-through rates, actions, and ultimately, more customers walking through your door.
Why GMB Profile Optimization Matters
Recent statistics show just how influential GMB profiles are in the customer journey:
- 76% of users turn to online search to find local businesses.
- 53% of mobile searches have local intent.
- 90% of customers use GMB listings to find store locations or contact info.
- Listings with complete profiles are up to twice as likely to be considered as those with minimal info.
GMB optimization is no longer optional. To rank higher in local pack results and drive conversions, you need a fully optimized profile that builds trust and credibility with searchers.
GMB Profile Optimization Checklist
Walk through this GMB optimization checklist to maximize your profile’s conversions:
Complete Your Business Information
- Name – Your official, legally registered business name.
- Address – Primary physical location, not a PO box.
- Phone number – Correct number with area code.
- Website – URL that links to your website.
- Category – Relevant categories that describe your business.
- Hours – Accurate open hours for every day of the week.
- Special hours – Holiday hours or closures.
- Services – All main services, offerings, and products.
Optimize Your Description
- Keywords – Relevant keywords and phrases that searchers use.
- Tone – Friendly, engaging description that builds trust.
- Length – 400+ words detailing your offerings.
- Value proposition – Communicate your competitive differentiators.
- Call-to-action – Encourage users to contact you or visit your site.
Add High-Quality Photos
- Exterior – Clear shot of your storefront.
- Interior – Well-lit images of your business interior.
- Products – Photos of products, menu items, services.
- Staff – Pictures of owners and employees.
- Customers – Real customers engaging with your business.
Create Engaging Posts
- Special offers – Limited-time discounts or perks.
- Events – Upcoming workshops, classes, or special events.
- Industry or local news – Relevant and timely news to attract clicks.
- Behind-the-scenes – Give customers a peek behind the scenes.
- Seasonal posts – Tailor posts to holidays and seasons.
Respond to Reviews
- Reply promptly – Respond to all reviews within 24 hours.
- Thank positive reviewers – Show gratitude for their praise.
- Address negative feedback – Apologize and offer solutions.
- Monitor consistently – Check for new reviews daily.
Link to Your GMB Profile
- Website footer – Add a link in your site’s footer navigation.
- Contact page – List it on your contact page.
- Email signature – Include a link in your email signature.
- Social media – Share your profile link on social channels.
Advanced Optimization Tactics
Once your core profile is complete, use these advanced tactics to further optimize your GMB listing:
Google Posts Ads
Create Google post ads to promote special offers, events and services to nearby searchers looking for businesses like yours.
Expand your ad reach to multiple locations by adding location extensions to your Google Ads campaigns.
Google Analytics Integration
Connect Google Analytics to see what actions visitors take after clicking your GMB listing.
Google Hotel Ads
For hotels and vacation rentals, create a Hotel Ads campaign to advertise directly in hotel search results.
Structured Data Markup
Add schema markup to your GMB profile and website to enhance how your business info appears in search.
Google Q&A and Automated Messages
Set up automated messaging with customers for quick answers to FAQs. Enable messaging on your mobile app too.
Track and Measure Conversions
To ensure your optimization efforts pay off, diligently track GMB metrics in Google Analytics:
- Clicks to your website
- Calls from your listing
- Directions requests
- On-profile service bookings
- Customer actions after clicking your listing
Compare before and after conversion rates when testing changes to your profile. Double down on what works to maximize conversions.
Optimize Consistently Over Time
Don’t treat GMB optimization as a one-time task. Revisit your profile regularly to add fresh photos, posts, and information that engages customers.
The more optimized and authoritative your Google My Business profile, the higher visibility you’ll have in local search results, leading to more customers walking through your door ready to buy.
What elements have you found most impact conversions for your GMB profile? Share your top optimization tips in the comments below!
Resources for optimizing your Google My Business profile
- Google My Business Help: https://support.google.com/business/?hl=en
- Moz Local SEO Guide: https://moz.com/local-seo-guide
- Whitespark Local Search Ranking Factors: https://whitespark.ca/local-search-ranking-factors
- How to write a great Google My Business description: https://www.jessicagrajeda.com/post/how-do-i-write-a-google-business-description-tips-tricks-templates-for-a-killer-google-listing
- How to create Google Posts that attract customers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV8fQ8Cp6kQ
- How to track Google My Business conversions: https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/1722054?hl=en